Dr Stephen Bulman – Director
Stephen Bulman has over two decades’ experience in UK higher education, including over ten years of successful academic management experience at Newman University, Leeds Trinity University and the University of Cumbria. He has been a head of department, head of school, associate dean, and vice-principal. He is a published academic in the field of African history and culture.
Stephen has significant HE development and quality assurance work including course and programme development, Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) auditing and taught degree awarding powers (TDAP) application work. He has a record of success across strategic planning, academic portfolio review, performance analysis/metrics, enhancing student satisfaction, developing student employability, restructure and change management, university/business collaboration, business incubation, and stakeholder engagement. He has recently produced a research report for the Higher Education Academy on teaching and learning in subject disciplines, working with over twenty PSRBs and learned societies.
- NSS improvement work for Southampton Solent University, 2016-17
- Strategic development consultancy for School of Maritime Science & Engineering, Southampton Solent University, 2016-17
- Teaching and Learning in the Disciplines (for the HEA). Read the report here: Teaching & Learning in the Disciplines
- Review of humanities discipline-based activities at the HEA
- Two blogs for the HEA
- The future of teaching and learning at university: 2020 learning and teaching?
- The challenges facing lecturers in the disciplines, based on the Teaching and Learning in the Disciplines research with over 500 academics: Supporting teaching and learning in the disciplines
- Various projects for Bradford College
- Development of the Carlisle Business Interaction Centre. See: www.cumbria.ac.uk/AboutUs/Enterprise/CarlisleBusinessInteractionCentre/Home.aspx
- Foundation of the Institute for Leadership and Sustainability. See: www.cumbria.ac.uk/Courses/SubjectAreas/IFLAS/Home.aspx
- Restructure and launch of a new Business School. See: www.cumbria.ac.uk/Courses/SubjectAreas/BusinessComputing/Home.asp
- Interim Strategic Development Consultant, School of Maritime Science & Engineering, Southampton Solent University, Sept. 2016- Feb. 2017
- Interim Programme Group Lead, Features Journalism and English, Southampton Solent University, March – August, 2016
- Project Consultant, Higher Education Academy, 2015
- Associate Dean, University of Cumbria, 2011-13
- Vice-Principal Academic, Leeds Trinity University, 2009-10
- Head of School, Newman University, Birmingham, 2001-09
- Head of History Department & Principal Lecturer, Newman University, 1998-2001
- B.A. (Hons) Medieval and Modern History (University of Birmingham)
- Ph.D. West African Studies (Centre of West African Studies, University of Birmingham)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy