Dr Stephen Bulman – Director
Stephen Bulman has over two decades’ experience in UK higher education, including over ten years of successful academic management experience at Newman University, Leeds Trinity University and the University of Cumbria. He has been a head of department, head of school, associate dean, and vice-principal. He is a published academic in the field of African history and culture, written articles and book chapters focusing on West African oral tradition, and edited, with Valentin Vydrine, The Epic of Sumanguru Kante (Brill, 2017), a critical edition of an oral epic he recorded in Mali, West Africa, in 1997.
Stephen has significant HE development and quality assurance work including course and programme development, Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) auditing and taught degree awarding powers (TDAP) application work. He has a record of success across strategic planning, academic portfolio review, performance analysis/metrics, enhancing student satisfaction, developing student employability, restructure and change management, university/business collaboration, business incubation, and stakeholder engagement. While at the University of Cumbria he helped set up the Carlisle Business Interaction Centre (see: www.cumbria.ac.uk/AboutUs/Enterprise/CarlisleBusinessInteractionCentre/Home.aspx) and the Institute for Leadership and Sustainability (see: www.cumbria.ac.uk/Courses/SubjectAreas/IFLAS/Home.aspx). He has produced a research report for the Higher Education Academy on the challenges facing lecturers in the disciplines, based on a Teaching and Learning in the Disciplines project that involved interaction with over 500 academics via learned bodies and subject associations: Supporting teaching and learning in the disciplines (2015).
Since becoming a consultant in 2013 Stephen has worked with numerous HEIs, including universities, further education colleges and alternative providers, on a variety of projects drawing on his experience and expertise.
- Interim Strategic Development Consultant, School of Maritime Science & Engineering, Southampton Solent University, Sept. 2016- Feb. 2017
- Interim Programme Group Lead, Features Journalism and English, Southampton Solent University, March – August, 2016
- Project Consultant, Higher Education Academy, 2015
- Associate Dean, University of Cumbria, 2011-13
- Vice-Principal Academic, Leeds Trinity University College (now University), 2009-10
- Head of School, Newman University College (now University), Birmingham, 2001-09
- Head of History Department & Principal Lecturer, Newman University College (now University), 1998-2001
- B.A. (Hons) Medieval and Modern History (University of Birmingham)
- Ph.D. West African Studies (Centre of West African Studies, University of Birmingham)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy